Open Master's Projects (contact the respective supervisor)
(Most of the following projects are scalable and can be adapted to suit other project types.)
Supervisor: Jiri Kosinka
- Blending barycentric coordinates; This project would build on this paper. No public description available, contact me for details.
- Subdivision shading; This project would build on this paper. No public description available, contact me for details.
* OpenSubdiv; This project would deal with Pixar's OpenSubdiv library. No public description available, contact me for details. * Heart valve modelling and reconstruction; This project would be done in collaboration with C.A. Bertoglio. No public description available, contact me for details.
- NURBS/CAD model processing; thesis/internship at Schut Geometrical Metrology (Groningen); contact me for details.
- Subdivision surfaces for maritime applications; thesis project in collaboration with MARIN; see PDF
* Research and user study for zSpace interaction. No public description available, contact me for details. * Longest edge-based segmentation for triangular and tetrahedral meshes. No public description available, contact me for details. * Reflection lines and surface quality using machine learning. No public description available, contact me for details.
Supervisor: Steffen Frey
- In situ visualization of large data; generating visualization of large simulation data on supercomputers while they are generated. Adaptive, data-dependent reduction of data.
- Visualization of porous media; analysis and comparison of large spatial ensembles from experiments and simulations. Joint project with the University of Stuttgart, Germany, within SFB 1313.
- Machine learning and optimization for visualization; data-driven extraction of meaningful features from large volumes of complex data and tuning of visualization systems.
Open Term Projects/Internships (Onderzoeksstage)
- Most of the Master's thesis projects specified above by J. Kosinka and S.Frey can be adapted to a research/in-company internship project.
General Open Projects
Many projects can be adjusted so that they fit the constraints of either a Master's, term, or Bachelor project. In case you would like to work on a project in a category other than the ones announced, please let us know.
In addition, here are some ideas for projects without a dedicated category:
* Illustrative and Artistic Visualization of Map Data (Bachelor or Onderzoeksstage). Contact: Tobias Isenberg.
Your Own Project Idea
If you have an idea of a specific project or would like to work generally in a specific area, please let us know about it and we can then narrow the project down. Generally, we advise projects in the following areas:
- geometric modelling (curve and surface representation, splines, subdivision), computer (and especially vector) graphics (contact Jiri Kosinka).
- scientific visualization (visualization of spatial data, time-dependent, parameter-studies etc.), scalable methods for large data, machine learning and optimization for visualization (contact Steffen Frey).