- Member of the Defense Committee of Nicola Strisciuglio, University of Salerno, Italy, Feb 2017. My role was co-promotor.
- Member of the Defense Committee of Sergio Garrido Jurado, University of Cordoba, Spain, Nov 2016. My role was examiner.
- Member of the Defense Committee of Andreas Neocleous, University of Groningen, Dec 2016. My role was co-promotor.
- General co-chair of the 1st international workshop on Computational Models of Visual Cortex (CMVC) as part of the 9th International Conference on Bio-inspired Information and Communications Technologies (formerly BIONETICS), 3-5 Dec, New York City, New York, USA.
- General co-chair of the 16th international CAIP 2015 conference, 2-4 Sep, Valletta, Malta
- Editor of Pattern Recognition and Intelligent Systems (PRIS) journal
- Member of the scientific committee of REACTS 2015, Valletta, Malta
- Member of the international program committee of IC2IT 2015, Bangkok, Thailand
- Member of the international program committee of ICANN 2014, Hamburg, Germany
- External examiner of two MSc projects from Makerere University, Uganda, 2014
- Session chair in BrainComp 2013
- Ad-hoc reviewer of various computer science journals
- Proposed project for a Computer Aided Diagnostic System for the detection of Diabetic Retinopathy in Retinal Fundus Images
- Interviews about Machine Learning in Smart Breeding
- Invited Speaker at Valletta.AI meeting, Malta, 19 April 2017
- Invited Keynote talk at the CIARP conference, Lima, Peru, November, 2016.
- Tutorial at the CMVC Workshop in the BICT conference, New York, USA, December, 2015.
- Invited talk at the BrainComp conference, Cetraro, Calabria, Italy, July 2015. [Abstract]
- Invited talk at the Johann Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Groningen, the Netherlands, May 2015. Title: Combination Of Receptive Fields (CORF): A novel computational simple cell model with application to contour detection and delineation.
- Invited talk at the congress of clinical applications of smart glasses, Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, Dec 2014. Title: Trainable object localization and recognition
- Invited talk at MIRA Institute, Twente University, Enschede, The Netherlands, Oct 2014. Title: Object recognition and localization
- Invited talk at Donders Institute, Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, Sep 2014. Title: Computational modeling of simple cells with applications to contour detection in natural images and vessel delineation in retinal images
- Invited talk at Intelligent and Interactive Systems, University of Innsbruck, Austria, Jan 2014. Title: CORF: A computational model of simple cell with push-pull inhibition
- Invited talk at Juelich Forschungszentrum, Germany, 2012. Title: Brain-inspired computing for machine vision: Trainable COSFIRE filters for keypoint detection and pattern recognition
- A lecture called “Brain-inspired computer vision: what comes beyond V2 in visual cortex?” as part of the ASCI course a8: Front-End Vision and Multi-Scale Image Analysis, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven (TU/e), Autumn 2011. [lecture]
- “Automatic detection of retinal vascular bifurcations by trainable V4-like filters”, Spring 2011 Meeting of the NVPHBV, Utrecht, The Netherlands, April 2011.
- Invited Talk by the British Computer Science (BCS Essex branch), at Anglia Ruskin University in Chelmsford, Essex UK. Title: Biologically Motivated Pattern Recognition, 15th March 2011.
As a lecturer:
- Fifth International Summer School on Brain-inspired Computer Vision, Shenyang, China: 27-31 July 2015
As a PhD student:
- ICVSS – International Computer Vision Summer School, Siracusa, Sicily: 11-16th July 2011.
- AERFAI Summer School on Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning in Multimedia Systems, Benicassim, Spain: 7-11th June 2010.
- Supercomputers and Brain-Inspired Machine Vision, St. Martin’s Institute, Malta: 10th April 2012.
- Robot Intelligence: How do robots learn and see?, St. Martin’s Institute, Malta: 14th April 2011.