Welcome to my personal website. The opinions expressed here are solely mine and not those of my employer and/or volunteer affiliations.
- Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) – Computer Science at the University of Groningen (0.8FTE)
- Chief AI Scientist at KAIOS (0.2FTE)
- Affiliated with the University of Malta
- Visual pattern recognition
- Machine learning
- Image processing
- Medical image analysis
- Predictive analysis
- Data science
- Internet of Things
- 2015 – to date: Lecturer at the University of Malta, Malta
- 2012 – 2015: Research Innovator at TNO, the Netherlands
- 2012 – 2015: Post-doc at the University of Groningen, the Netherlands
- 2000 – 2008: Software developer at Bank of Valletta, Malta
- 2006 – 2009: Scientific developer at Iteanova, Malta
On 26 April, 2013 I received PhD cum laude in Computer Science from the University of Groningen. I carried out my PhD studies at the Johann Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science under the supervision of Prof. dr. Nicolai Petkov, who is the head of the Intelligent Systems group. The research topic of my studies was visual pattern recognition including computational modelling of the visual system of the brain. In my studies, I proposed innovative brain-inspired algorithms for machine vision applications, which among others, include contour detection, segmentation, feature detection, shape recognition and retinal image analysis. My PhD thesis is called COSFIRE (Combination of Shifted Filter Responses): A Trainable Filter Approach to Visual Pattern Recognition.
Before my PhD studies, I received a BSc degree (first class honours) in Computer Science and an MSc degree with distinction in Computer Vision, from Goldsmiths and Queen Mary, University of London, respectively.
Ralph Waldo Emerson